Re: ASAP: "Fillable" wars

Subject: Re: ASAP: "Fillable" wars
From: "Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor)" <Stephen -dot- Gillespie -at- Persnet -dot- Navy -dot- Mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:30:42 -0500

jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com ("Cook, Jenise") wrotes:
>We've got a battle with Marketing after using this term for at least two
>years. Can *you* justify the use of the term "fillable"? (We use it in the
>sense of a "fillable form".)
then Janice Gelb added:
>I've seen this for graphics products when talking about
>"fillable shapes" vs shapes that you can't fill. I would
>try to get Marketing to use this term only when they
>need to contrast something that can be filled in with
>something that can't, and not just to use it randomly
>as an adjective. (For example, readers would probably
>assume that they can fill in a form that you're providing
>to them unless you tell them otherwise.)

I agree with Janice's explanation of the usage re 'fillable' (graphic)
shapes, but have to DISAGREE on her extending the comparison to 'filling ...
a form'. I don't think 'fillable' as an adjective works for a FORM, because
what one does with a form is FILL OUT (at least, in Southen English idiom)
It's what's known as a 2-word verb - which as an adjective would result in
something (ridiculous) like 'filloutable'.

Steve Gillespie