RE: Some thoughts on knowledge management, content management and single sourcing

Subject: RE: Some thoughts on knowledge management, content management and single sourcing
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:27:20 -0800 (PST)

Lisa pointed out that data mining can't tell you what
to do with data patterns. She's onto something here.

Merely capturing data and making it accessible is half
the KM battle. It seems to me that that's the easy
part. (Well, encouraging people to enter the data
isn't necessarily easy, but that's the management
problem that Andrew is adamant about.)

It seems to me the difficult aspect of KM is what to
*do* with all of that information. Consider this
listserv's archives; it contains a wealth of
information about technical writing, but does the
ability to access all information about "help
authoring tools," for example, make it easier for me
to select a HAT to use with a new employer?

Some would argue, Yes. Searching the archives gives me
information about popular HATs, including facts and
opinions. Having that information is clearly better
than not having it. Good, we're half-way there.

But some would argue, No. The archives tell me nothing
about current trends in operating systems, Java, or
.NET, factors that may affect the long-term
implementation of online help.

So it's all about *using* the information. That's
where a strong KM system would help.

Steven Brown
Senior Technical Writer

http://sports.yahoo.com/