RE: Documenting "touchy" applications?

Subject: RE: Documenting "touchy" applications?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:33:13 -0800 (PST)

--- Sarah Kampman <skampman -at- acornsys -dot- com> wrote:
> I work under the theory that users only follow the instructions if
> their
> first guess didn't work. With that in mind, make sure there's a
> good
> Troubleshooting chapter, particularly if each error message is
> unique enough
> to enable you to point the user to the right procedure. A

At the beginning of every document, I have a section called:

"Conventions: Displays, Layout, Navigation, Commands, Formatting,
Prompts, and Messages."

I know, quite a mouthful. However, it is here that if it is an error
message, I show a picture of the message, what caused it, and how to
avoid it. I also include hints on how to avoid errors before they
make themselves known.

John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/15

Do You Yahoo!?

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!

RE: Documenting "touchy" applications?: From: Sarah Kampman