Converting from Word to RoboHelp

Subject: Converting from Word to RoboHelp
From: Alan Alda <alan4077alda -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:23:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,

We currently have a user manual and administrator's
manual written in Word. Each of these is a 300+ page
document. By popular (read user) demand, we are
planning to move to online help created in RoboHelp
HTML. Most of the content that we have in the current
Word file will have to be duplicated for the online
help.

Here, lies the problem. Simple "copy from word" and
then "paste in RoboHelp HTML" does not work since all
the formatting, etc. are lost in the process. I also
tried saving the word file in HTML format and then
pasting the HTML source that Word creates into the
RoboHelp "TrueCode" tab. This too does not work too
well as significant features of the original document
are lost. Has anybody encountered such a problem
before? What solutions should I be looking at?

Any help to this budding tech-writer will be deeply
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Alan.