RE: Secret government information

Subject: RE: Secret government information
From: "Justin Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:43:57 -0700

Bonnie, and others...

Some good information on this topic has already been posted. Let me add
some points...

I hate the term "If I told you I would have to kill you" Save it for the
movies.

The cost to the govies to perform an Extensive Background Investigation
(EBI) now called Special Security Background Investigation (SSBI) is
approximately $60k. These types of investigations grant Top Secret (or
better) clearances.

Anybody can get one, provided they can document their life well...especially
for the last ten years. It is updated every 5 years. I have seen some
serious offenders (Serious is obviously relative) have a TS Clearance.

Foreign nationals are not typically eligible (but can be done) for high
level (TS) clearances. Members who have foreign national spouses, relatives
or siblings are eligible, but with a little more paperwork.

The problem in getting a clearance...ya gotta work somewhere that it is
required. Hence, why it is easier/cheaper to hire someone who already has
one.

The other problem...it usually takes over six months to have a clearance
granted. The agency that grants security clearances is currently a little
bit behind...approximately 350,000 investigations.

A quick TS SSBI is granted in a little over 6 months. I have seen them take
years.

As for them being marketable...HA...you can't even imagine. The jobs are
everywhere...even in this downtrodden economy. The great thing about having
a security clearance when you enter a position that requires is that you can
demand a higher salary because the hiring company does not have to pay for
it. The updates are considerably cheaper.

I am not sure that consultants regularly have TS clearance, because when it
is not in use, it goes into "storage" meaning, it takes a little bit of
paperwork to activate it again.

Many Reservists/National Guard Members have it nice. They can have the
government pay for the clearance, but reap the benefits from the contractor.

If you will notice, most jobs that require the clearance are located in DC,
MD, Denver, or at major military installations. It is a great environment
to work in, and a cornucopia of opportunities.

TS clearances require a polygraph test...though you may have access to
information before your poly is conducted. Different levels require
different polys.

If anyone needs any additional information, let me know. Insert Cronin's
tag line here.

(Respects to Keith)

JR

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr