Re: Master Documents, with a side of Single Source Sauce

Subject: Re: Master Documents, with a side of Single Source Sauce
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:13:37 -0800

"Stevenson, Rebecca" wrote:

> ... I can't see any sense in maintaining a Word-->Frame-->PDF flow and a
> Word-->RoboHelp flow when we can manage it all from Word. Or can we...?

Couple of points:

* Be careful about associating Word with RoboHelp--not all versions
of RoboHelp are based on Word, any more. Just getting RoboHelp
doesn't necessarily mean you'll be authoring in Word. As an
alternative, check out Component One, which has recently bought
both Doc-to-Help and ForeHelp (historically the #2 and #3 help
authoring tools). I've never used Component One, but it might be
worth a look.

* Word can do PDF just fine. If you go that route, be sure you use
PDFMaker (comes with Acrobat 4 and 5), and check out Activate from
www.virginiasystems.com (no financial interest--just a satisfied
user).

NOTE: I'm a Word user and not a big RoboHelp fan (although I've used
several versions on many projects since '93 or '94).

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr