Re: Secret government information

Subject: Re: Secret government information
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:02:23 -0800

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote:

> I see jobs advertised that say that a top-secret security clearance
is
> required, but when I visit the U.S. Government Web site that
purportedly
> explains how to obtain a security clearance, I am told that one
cannot do so
> without first being hired.

Correct -- more or less.

> Does anyone understand this particular government secret?

Well, you *could* try joining the military for a couple years ... but
after having spent 14 years in the Navy, I don't recommend it (a long
and tedious story, from which I'll spare you).

Previous advice provided on taking jobs which require lower
clearances (Confidential is about as low as you can go) is good
advice, I think; check those federal job sites.

As for the different clearances, it starts out with the
afore-mentioned Confidential, then it goes up from there: Secret, Top
Secret, Top Secret(codeword).

The "final" clearance listed above is what requires an SSBI ... and
there may be higher levels after that, but if they are, I wasn't
cleared to know.

I can't really say how long it takes to get a clearance (got my first
Secret clearance 'way back in 1984) these days, but I can agree with
the approximation of six months to get that Secret.

Another thing ... did any of your parents have clearances? My dad had
a TS back in WW2 ... still won't tell me what he did ... :o) but
whatever it was seemed to grease the wheels for me getting my
clearance: my friends said no one stopped by to ask them about me as I
had warned them might happen.

Good luck in your quest

--gdw

> Bonnie Granat

"Your mouse has moved. Windows has to reboot for changes to take
effect."
--C.Schmitz, comp.language.basic.realbasic

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/