Re: Friday-type questions

Subject: Re: Friday-type questions
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:57:46 -0800 (PST)

A recent (Adobe Photoshop v6.0, If I recall) user manual invited me
to 'check out' some facet of the program. This was unexpected. Do
others among you use 'check out' to mean refer to? Is this now
acceptable form in print?>>

Even if this phrase is now more acceptable, you might want to
consider avoiding it if your documents are translated. We are
slowly getting trained by our localization people to avoid
phrases like this that can lead to confusion for translators
and non-native English speakers. Not only is this a relatively
slang phrase, even if it is getting to be more accepted, but
we try to avoid using words that are both nouns and verbs in
the same document to avoid confusion. So, for example, if
your document talks about checking a checkbox or the like,
you'd probably want to avoid this phrase.

Janice Gelb | Just speaking for me, not Sun.
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com |

PC Magazine gives RoboHelp Office 2002 five stars - a perfect score!
"The ultimate developer's tool for designing help systems. A product
no professional help designer should be without." Check out RoboHelp at

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: Re: Techwr-l : The Movie <OT - humor>
Next by Author: Re: Refernce to menu options??
Previous by Thread: RE: Friday-type questions
Next by Thread: Re:Friday-type questions

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads