Exporting Acrobat columns into Excel

Subject: Exporting Acrobat columns into Excel
From: csg -at- telecable -dot- es
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 9:54:55

I got this large Acrobat5 document (255 pages) written in a two-column
format. Actually is a glossary: the phrases in the right-hand column
describe the terms in the left-hand column. I want to export both columns
independently or separately, to create an Excel/Access table with actual
records and fields. Each record (line) would have two fields(columns):
"term" and "definition" That way the table would be more manageable and
editable. It happens that whatever Acrobat export method I choose I always
end up with a one-field record. I am unable to separate the Acrobat text
line into two actual fields, one per column. As far as I know, the
text/column/table select tools work at the page level. When saving the
document as a RTF, TXT, I get a long list of single-field records,
alternatively containing a chunk of the original text from the left column
and a chunk of the original text from right column. It seems Acrobat saved
the data as pages, and then converted the data into individual single-line
records independently of the original position (left or right column). I
know I am missing something here, but I am trapped moving around a circle.

How would you independently export Acrobat text columns into Excel? Any
ideas?
=====
Carlos
csg -at- telecable -dot- es