Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: "techwr-l owner" <techwr-l-owner -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
To: <archive -at- raycomm -dot- com>

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...
* ANNOUNCE: Progeny Debian manual now open source project (NEW)
* ANNOUNCE: Upcoming Bright Path Solutions training and events
* ANNOUNCE: TECHWR-L Site Redesign and Reorganization
* ANNOUNCE: TECHWR-L Store Now Open!
* STORY: Dan the Tech Writer and his support group

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

ANNOUNCE: Progeny Debian manual becomes open source project

Progeny Linux Systems, Inc. is releasing the User's Guide included with
Progeny Debian for public use. Bruce Byfield, the maintainer of the
manual, is asking for volunteers to revise and update the manual. The
User's Guide is over 400 pages about Debian GNU/Linux, and can now be
freely copied and distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public
Licence.

This is a good opportunity for anyone interested in:

- Linux
- free software and open source projects
- gaining writing experience

All volunteers will be given full credit for work accepted into the
project.

For more information:

- read the announcement at
http://www.debianplanet.org/article.php?sid=623&mode=thread&order=0
- download the files at ://archive.progeny.com/progeny/debian/doc/
- read a definition of free software at
- read the GNU General Public Licence at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#GPL

Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Bruce Byfield at
bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

03/24/02-03/31/02

ANNOUNCE: Upcoming Bright Path Solutions training and events

Bright Path Solutions has many training courses and free events coming up.
A few of these are listed below. For details, visit
http://www.travelthepath.com/ and follow links to Training or Events.

The Master Series: a FrameMaker 6.0 1-day Specialized (Advanced) Workshop
-March 20th in Research Triangle Park NC ($149)

SkillBuilder Workshop: Working with FrameMaker Variables
-April 11th in Research Triangle Park NC ($35)

Adobe FrameMaker Free Capabilities Overview
-April 12th in Research Triangle Park NC (free)
-April 23th in Research Triangle Park NC (free)

FrameMaker: our original Boot Camp (basics, advanced, and ePublishing)
-April 1-5 in Nashville TN ($1,800 any location)
-May 6-10 in Research Triangle Park NC
-May 20-24 in Pittsburgh PA
-June 10-14 in Research Triangle Park NC
-also coming soon to St. Louis, Las Vegas, and Orlando FL

FrameMaker+SGML: Structured Document Publishing Boot Camp (includes XML)
-June 24-28 in Research Triangle Park NC ($1,800 any location)
-July 15-19 in Las Vegas NV

Also coming up in RTP, two free users meetings hosted by Bright Path
Solutions:
-NC WebWorks Users April 11th (http://www.webworks.com/forums > NC User
Group)
-Tri-XML mtg April 9th (http://www.trixml.org)

BRIGHT PATH SOLUTIONS
an Adobe Solution Sales Provider
a WebWorks University site
100 Park Drive, Suite 102
PO Box 14265
Research Triangle Park NC 27709-4265
PHONE: 919.547.0129
FAX: 919.558.2183
http://www.travelthepath.com

03/18/02-03/25/02

ANNOUNCE: TECHWR-L Site Redesign and Reorganization

**Breaking News from Behind the Scenes at TECHWR-L** <g>

Since January 2002, we've been feverishly working on a
pleased to announce that the new site is now available:

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/index.html

Highlights of the new site include
* A new, fresher look
* A new structure and keywords to aid browsing
* New navigation aids
* Article summaries
* A new MySQL site search application, called
Mnogosearch
* Detailed (or fixed!) meta tag keywords
and descriptions

You'll also find links to the new TECHWR-L Store, which
offers TECHWR-L T-shirts, mugs, mousepads, and more!
All proceeds go toward supporting TECHWR-L.

You can find out more about the site changes in the
March issue of _The Whirler_ at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/abouttechwhirl/whirler.html

We're still tidying up details across the site, but
please do visit, browse around, and send comments,
suggestions, and problems you encounter to me at
debray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot-

Thanks!
Deborah

03/18/02-03/26/02

ANNOUNCE: TECHWR-L Store Now Open!

Find TECHWR-L t-shirts, mugs, mousepads, and more at the
all new TECHWR-L store, available through cafepress.com:

These TECHWR-L products are darned cool...and great for
identifying yourself as a TECHWR-Ler at conferences and
meetings, too.

Show your support for TECHWR-L, and look cool doing so!
All proceeds go toward supporting TECHWR-L.

Hurry and visit the TECHWR-L store!

03/18/02-03/26/02

STORY: Dan the Tech Writer and his support group

Hello, my name is Dan, and I'm a technical writer.

Hello, Dan, the support group chorused.

I've been addicted to technical writing for some time now. First, I
started small, with little contract projects here and there . . .
before I knew it, I had a full time job for a software company. I was
just churning out documentation . . .

I knew there was no turning back when I joined the TECHWR-L discussion
list. I enjoyed debating about one or two spaces after the period,
identified with the Deer in Headlights Syndrome, and even spent a lot
of time discussing whether or not I was a writer and if I was indeed
an artist.

Dan cleared his throat and shook his head.

I thought it couldn't get any worse -- then SnagIt came into my life.

The group members nodded their encouragement.

I don't know how I ever accomplished anything before SnagIt! It's
such a time saver - with profiles, I created and stored my most
frequently used settings so I didn't have to constantly change my
configuration. Then with multiple outputs, I could simultaneously
send my capture to as many outputs as I wanted. And, SnagIt offers
more input and output options than any other screen capture program
--input an object, web, text, video, direct x, graphical or program
file!

Not only that, but in SnagIt Studio I added annotation like text, arrows
and clipart, and in the Catalog I easily selected multiple files to save,
convert, print and e-mail in batches!

Dan, spent, flopped into his chair.

A member turned to him and whispered desperately, Is SnagIt really as good
as you say?

Dan nodded weakly. He looked around him and realized that he hadn't
helped at all - every support group member was itching to get to a
computer to download SnagIt.

Inwardly, he smiled. At least if he couldn't help them, he'd enjoy
the company in the SnagIt online forum.

--Find TechSmith and SnagIt at http://www.techsmith.com/twr --

1/1/02-6/30/02

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 5100 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 5100+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/postad.html.