Re: template in Word 2000

Subject: Re: template in Word 2000
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:56:49 -0600

In our previous episode at 07:04 AM 3/26/02, Ruby Isaacs wrote:

Why would the same Word 2000 *.doc file attached to copies of the same template print out differently on the same printer?

My co-worker copied her template onto the public drive. I copied that template into my C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates folder. I re-attached the template to my *.doc file. Then, I copied all the styles from this template into my *.doc file. I made sure that the descriptions of the Chapter Subtitle style matched in both the template and the *.doc file.

However, when I printed the *.doc file the characters in a Chapter Subtitle style were too close together. A rather amusing example is that the "cl" in "click" appeared as a "d".

How can I fix this template problem?

Make sure that a) the two of you are both using the same printer driver, and b) that both of you have the same fonts installed. If your co-worker is missing fonts, you could be getting font substitutions that would make things look funky.

My boss thought that Georgia (my working font of choice) was really awful looking, and was about to force me to change to a different font, until we discovered that he hadn't installed the font properly, and was viewing a substituted font. Once we got Georgia installed, he was quite happy with it.

Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"I make mistakes, but I am on the side of Good, ... by accident and happenstance."
--James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks