Won't vs. Can't...then something about mice

Subject: Won't vs. Can't...then something about mice
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:10:13 -0800 (PST)

All this talk about disabilities and standing got me thinking too. And I think
some people are misunderstanding my perspective, which is understandable. I
haven't really been very clear. I am rather delirious from days and days of
travel. I am doing training and consulting work for some ultra-high security
places and it can be...stressful.

Anyways, I guess what my whole point boiled down to was the difference between
"won't" and "can't". If somebody can't do something, like stand, due to a
legitimate physical disability than obviously an employer should make
"reasonable" accommodations.

But if somebody won't stand because they don't like to stand or do not feel it
is important. Flip them. If they won't conform to the job requirements, then
they should not apply for the job. What irks me is when people use very
legitimate laws and regulations that are intended to defend the disabled as a
mechanism to pressure firms in to making unreasonable exemptions for them
because they're just lazy. Laziness is not a disability.

If a job requirement bothers you or you have ethical objections to it, then do
not apply for the job. Go apply to companies that more appropriately represent
your political, ethical, and existential philosophies.

So, before some of you leap up to join the "lets try to pummel Andrew's
intolerant attitude" crusade, at least take one second to notice that I am not
tipping people out of wheelchairs and asking them to get on their damn feet and
"take it like a man!"

I am going to drop some live mice down my pants now.

Andrew Plato

http://greetings.yahoo.com/

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!