RE: Is tech writing for me?

Subject: RE: Is tech writing for me?
From: "Richard Smith" <richard -dot- smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 15:42:30 -0700

Consider open source projects as an alternative to a sample. The open source
community typically has lots of real need for writers. you can start by
searching the archives here for open source projects, or just pick a
software category and find an open source project that matches your
interests. Sourceforge and osdn may also be good places to start.

As with commercial projects, open source projects have deadlines,
milestones, etc. There are many exciting projects. One unique challenge
you'll get to quickly is working with a distributed team. Plus your work
will be real documentation for a real product. You can use it as a portfolio
piece, etc.

Your engineering, coding, consulting, and db skills should make you an ideal
candidate for many places. Learning the tools of the trade (Frame, Word,
docbook, html, html help, and so on) is usually not too big a deal.

--
Richard