Re: keeping writing samples for a portfolio

Subject: Re: keeping writing samples for a portfolio
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 13:53:33 -0800

When I bailed (laidoff) from the Aerospace industry,
I made copies of whatever I could get my hands on.
Software copies were out of the question, since I
didn't have Interleaf on my home machine.

I also had some hard copy from previous employers.
I tended to stay at the same company for a long time
and didn't think of a portfolio in the early years.

Every document I have is considered proprietary
by the company for various reasons.

The content isn't apparent, but the overall feel
for the documentation is what potential employers
are looking for. What got me my current position
is HOW I conveyed the information, not WHAT.

During interviews, when asked to leave my portfolio,
I politely told them that the material was considered
proprietary and I could not let it leave my posession.
They were free to review it with me, or in the same
room, but they couldn't take it or make copies.

If anyone has a problem with this, remind them that
they should want their material treated with the same
respect, integrity, and security.

Another idea is creeping into mind.
Make some relevant screen shots of the help in
context. Think of it as a marketing pitch. Check
the training materials for such examples. You may
not have created the material, but it shows off
your work. Create a document showcasing your work
and use that in the portfolio.

CB

--

Surfy! http://www.surfy.com Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access