Tool use (was: Hi)

Subject: Tool use (was: Hi)
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 12:10:07 +1000

Christopher Grant makes several excellent points about tools skills, with which I agree. Very well said!

To the paragraph quoted below, I would add that it's also very important to be _willing_ (perhaps even eager) to learn new tools. I've dealt with -- and read posts from -- far too many writers (and wannabees) who whine about the necessity to fit into an existing departmental system and learn new (or different) tools instead of using their favorites. "Why do I have to use X? Why can't I use Y? Y's better for the job and easier to use."

Sometimes the whiner is correct: Y _is_ better and/or easier to use than X, but in most cases it's _really_ a matter of "I'm used to Y and don't want to take the time to learn how to use X properly." If Y really is a better choice for a particular job, there are ways to attempt to change the situation, but whining, sarcasm, and other non-constructive forms of attempted persuasion aren't among them, especially if you're new on the team.

While skill with a _particular_ tool is not terribly important (though that
obviously will not always be the case), the facts are that in most
situations technical writers _will_ use some tool(s) to produce
documentation of whatever form. Thus, the ability to pick up and learn new
tools quickly - and then to be able to use them at a high level of expertise
- is very, very important.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
Diversify your income to protect your future.
http://www.quickinfo247.com/4148861/IEF