Re: Is Photoshop a good tool for screenshots?(long)

Subject: Re: Is Photoshop a good tool for screenshots?(long)
From: "Sean Brierley" <sbri -at- haestad -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:08:35 -0400

What you use as an image editor doesn't matter. At the end of the day,
Photoshop won't give you more crisp images than Ulead's PhotoImpact or
Jasc's PaintShop Pro. Neither will GIF give you any advantage in
crispness over PNG or BMP or TIFF--though JPEGs lossy compression can
result in a loss of sharpness if you resave the image or if you don't
turn off compression.

Here's how to do it:

1) Create your screen capture at the appropriate resolution.
2) Import the image (screen capture) into FrameMaker by reference.
3) Add callouts in FrameMaker (not FM+SGML, btw) using the drawing and
text tools provided.
4) Callouts and text added in FrameMaker will be smooth. Those added in
your image editor will not be.
5) You are done.

Now, if RoboHelp cannot handle the callouts--this is the first I've
heard that it cannot--then you need to address that with eHelp or find a
workaround, such as creating an EPS from your image editing software
(Photoshop has a neat approach here that other editors might not have**)
open that in Illustrator, add your lines and callouts in Illustrator,
and save the whole deal as EPS. Import the EPS into FrameMaker. Of
course, this assumes RoboHelp handles EPS correctly <vbg>.

In truth, though, RoboHelp is really the wrong tool for what you are
trying to do. Instead, checkout Quadralay's WebWorks Publisher 7,
http://www.webworks.com.

**I have collected some information on this kind of thing (screen
captures and EPS), and hope to make it available shortly. I will--with
Eric's permission of course--post when it is ready.

Cheers,

Sean

From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 22:25:16 -0700 (PDT)

<snippity snip>

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr