Re: Is Photoshop a good tool for screenshots?(long)

Subject: Re: Is Photoshop a good tool for screenshots?(long)
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 08:48:19 -0700 (PDT)

Isn't Photoshop a bit in the Overkill category for editing screenshots? nless you're dealing with photos, image processing or creating your own textures/images from scratch (which you could be), any cheaper tool will do the job you're talking about. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Photoshop. It's my favorite toy in my tech-writer toybox. ;-)

In my last job, we used SnagIt to do the captures, did a save as TIF (for print) and save as jpg (for online). SnagIt can do image cropping too. It's only around 40$. You can use Windows Paint to add the callouts if you need them. This is the poor-man's/woman's/chimp's solution to image editing. ;-)

As for image information in general, check the archive for a thread about different graphic file formats that was posted just recently. You'll find it useful.

Sean Hower

technical writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email -at- yourgroup -dot- org by Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr