RE: Is Photoshop a good tool for screenshots?(long)

Subject: RE: Is Photoshop a good tool for screenshots?(long)
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 10:34:51 -0700

At 09:04 AM 5/6/2002 -0700, David Knopf wrote:

I was not recommending JPEG over GIF, merely correcting the erroneous
suggestion that JPEGs of screenshots are invariably of lower quality
than GIFs. GIF is usually preferable to JPEG for screenshots that will
be displayed online. Neither is the preferred format for printing,
though acceptable printed output can often be produced with GIF.

My choice of GIF or JPG is solely based on what the image looks like.

Things with definate black and white, or lots of straight lines require GIF. Because of the way GIFs are compressed, black shows up as black, white as white, and lines and text stay crisp.

For anything with gradients and shading (like photographs, etc..), I use JPG.

Photoshop can *very* helpful for creating high-quality images that take up significantly less size. There's an amazingly wonderful option called "Save for Web". You can optimize the image to still look good, yet take a remarkably small space. Good for online help.

-Katie

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr