Re:Differentiating header info

Subject: Re:Differentiating header info
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:06:00 -0400

> Both the header and footer are sans-serif Arial 11 pt.,
> whereas body text is serif Times New Roman 11pt.

That might be part of the problem. It sounds like your reviewers turned the page
and saw body-sized text, so they thought it was body text.

Arial tends to look larger than Times New Roman in a given size. (I don't recall
the exact terminology, but maybe one of our typography experts can explain it.
<g>) Your 11-point-Arial headers would actually look larger than the body text.
To my eye, 11-point Times New Roman and 9-point Arial look roughly equivalent in
size. With that combination of fonts, I would probably use 8-point Arial for the
headers and footers. Maybe something bolder or slightly larger for page numbers.

If you decide you need horizontal lines separating the header and footer from
the body text, you might try putting them in 50% gray so they're relatively
unobtrusive.

HTH,
Christine

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr