Re: Programming / scripting languages in tech-writing

Subject: Re: Programming / scripting languages in tech-writing
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 13:49:39 -0300

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote:

One reason that I introduced this topic is to see whether there's any
interest in creating a repository of scripts that others can use.

Is there a reason this repository would be better than any of the other
repositories on the 'net?

Sharing scripts is a good idea. But why create the 1001st script repository
on the 'net? What's wrong with the other 1000?

The idea that I was toying with was a repository for scripts that were specifically useful tech-writers. An example might be a script that stripped all HTML tags out of a document, or only certain ones; a kind of super-charged HTML Tidy, if you're familiar with the program. However, I'm not sure that writers do enough that's different from anyone else to make the idea useful.

As for what's wrong with the other repositories, one answer is their sheer size. A smaller repository is often easier to use. Of course search engines exist, but they tend to limit any serendipity in browsing; users tend to go directly to what the engine lists and don't see the rest of the what's available.

Another reason might be dependability - the knowledge that the contents of the repository has been vetted by someone you trust. For example, if I download a package from the Debian site, I know that it will almost certainly work properly and contain everything that's needed. However, I won't download a package that someone posts on their web site unless I know and trust the person.

As you can tell, I'm still floating the idea. I haven't decided to act on it.

"'We do right when the cost is bearable but morality flourishes among those who won't suffer by it."
- George Turner, "The Sea and Summer"

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr