How to fend off a tech writer

Subject: How to fend off a tech writer
From: Michael Oboryshko <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:39:38 -0700 (PDT)

Well, it happened again. After 3 months on the gig, I got an
email from a middle manager stating "Don't distract the
developers... send all your questions to me instead... etc
etc..."

What I'm wondering is -- Does everybody else get these
instructions too, or is it just me?

It's dawned on me that, thanks to my semi-meticulous archiving,
I now have a collection of these emails spanning multiple gigs
over the last five years or so. It's a fascinating chronicle of
all the various techniques management uses to keep tech writers
at arm's length. They will do anything to keep tech writers from
interacting as peers on the development team:

1. The Gatekeeper: "Funnel all your requests through me..."

2. The Pest: "Don't distract the developers with your silly
requests..."

3. The Obstacle: "Put all your questions in writing..."

4. Trial and Error: "Just do the best you can, then we'll review
the document..."

5. What else???

What I'm proposing is that we create a repository of these
missives from all our collective experience. Please send them to
me (sanitized to protect the guilty, of course) and I will
publish them somehow on a web site. I think it will be highly
entertaining... also it will be very useful as unscientific
research that provides some insight into management attitudes.

Note: I'm not requesting support or advice on how to handle the
situation; I can deal with it. But as custom dictates on

Mike O.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr