RE: How to fend off a tech writer

Subject: RE: How to fend off a tech writer
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 13:26:58 -0500

Hi. Matt wrote:

> Here's some free advice on how to deal with developers so
> that you never get
> this kind of request from the development department again.
>
> 1) Beat them at their own game. Literally. Learn how to play

I also want to affirm Matt's great suggestions on how to hook into the
developer mindset and gain their respect, with the ultimate goal of being
included on meetings, decisions, etc. that will enable you to produce a
better doc product.

I've encountered this kind of reulctance to involve technical writers
firsthand. The reason given was, essentially, "you'll slow down the
development process by asking us stupid questions when we need to get things
done." Obvious message aside, the implication is that we don't understand
the development process, we don't understand what relevant questions are,
and we don't know how to act on a development team. I can't help but think
that the unfounded stereotype of writers as befuddled busybodies worried
solely about the placement of commas and apostrophes probably added to this
sentiment.

The sum of Matt's suggestions is to act as developers act, and attempt to
become part of the pack. Once they've accepted you, based on you playing
(and being knowledgeable about) "their" game, they're more apt to realize
what an important role you can play on the team as a _technical writer._

-Chris Grant

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr