RE: Adobe links

Subject: RE: Adobe links
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 11:37:33 -0700 (PDT)

> > A small doubt: I need to convert a Word 2000
> document into PDF. My
> > architect has inserted a few files INSIDE the Word
> doc. Will these be
> > functional too once converted into PDF? (i.e.
> will I be able to
> > launch the
> > file by clicking on the icon inside the PDF
> document, as I do in Word?)
>
> No. Remember that the conversion to Adobe is
> essentially a printing process,
> and the printed page neither knows nor cares about
> anything other than what
> dots to put where on the page.
>
> (Yes, there are navigation features that can be
> added in, but the basic PDF
> file is just an onscreen rendering of a print file.)

No, you can do this. It may not be automatic from Word
though. If you used FrameMaker, you could easily
include a postscript text box with a PDFMark command
to create the hyperlink. Alas, Word (to my knowledge)
doesn't offer the ability to insert postscript
commands into a working DOC file, but once converted,
you can find these buttons and, using Acrobat's link
tool, recreate the links to the executables and
additional files.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr