Just a Tech Writer (medium length)

Subject: Just a Tech Writer (medium length)
From: Victoria Whitehorne <vwhitehorne -at- cgn -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:59:08 -0500

The realization that after many years of being a technical writer, albeit a
good one with a variety of experience including desigining and developing
web-based help systems, I'm still "just a tech writer" hit me like a smack
in the face today. Even though I am involved on the project team through
the entire process (starting with the proposal and continuing through to the
delivery of the application to the customer), my skills are still only
listed on the project plan as the technical writer. It doesn't matter that
I help the proposal writer identify missing pieces, that I can find gaps in
the requirements documents, that I can add the user's perspective to the
interface design, or that I can write test cases. I'm still only the
technical writer.

Silly me, I thought that the flexibility and diversity of my participation
would provide me with some additional credentials. After I had this
epiphany today, and subsequently stopped feeling sorry for myself, I also
realized that I need to be a tech writer/something. I think I'd like to get
more involved in the analysis/requirements process that is associated with
software development.

Do any of you perform in this role? If so, what kind of education and
experience do you have? I would greatly appreciate any insight you might be
able to provide.

Thanks in advance.

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr