Re: Document Size and Page Numbers

Subject: Re: Document Size and Page Numbers
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 08:27:55 -0400

Jan Henning wrote:

> IMHO, chapter-specific numbering is a holdover from the days where we
> didn't have automatic page numbering. It made it easier to make small
> revisions in large documents, as you had to renumber only a few pages up
> to the start of the next chapter, not everything up to the end of the
> document.
>
> So, it made things easier for the publisher but not for the reader. Since
> page renumbering is no longer an issue - with FrameMaker even handling
> cross-references automatically - chapter-specific numbering seems obsolete.

What you say may be valid, but not in all cases. Technical manuals are
not designed to be novels. If a user desires to look up a particular
subject, it may very will be more feasible to use a table of contents
tend to use an index. I am very much aware that a table of contents can
refer to continuous page numbering, if any user wants to photocopy
specific pages to keep as a reference, it would seem to me that the
concept of chapter numbering makes for more sense. Of course, that it's
just my opinion. YMMV.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l