Re: Common instruction?

Subject: Re: Common instruction?
From: "Bill Hall" <bill -dot- hall -at- hotkey -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 20:44:04 +1000

Linda Stark wrote:
---------
I don't recall ever having run across this before. Is it common to start
assembly instructions for components of a very large tool with:

1. Locate six screws....
2. Locate two O-rings. Grease them with....

This follows what is supposedly a "parts list" for the whole tool. To me, it
sounds like we're having them run out to the garage, find six screws (one
here, one there, and how about one over there) and finish the step.
---------

I would say that Linda's sample is just plain bad writing. Having been
involved with writing maintenance instructions for a class of warships for a
very critical and punctilious client, we never wrote anything that way. The
printout handed to a maintainer for a procedure includes lists of tools,
parts, fluids & lubes, materials, miscellaneous and test equipment that
needs to be on hand before the job begins. We begin the procedure text with
a preliminary section on what the maintainer has to do to set up the job,
e.g., "Fill a bucket with 5 litres of warm water", equipment to tag out, any
isolations to perform and so on. Each step in the job is then described in
simple terms, e.g., in a reassembly task

a. Lubricate one nnn O-ring with Mobile 357 Grease.
b. Fit the lubricated O-ring into the sealing groove on the pump housing.
c. Fit the sealing groove of the adapter port flange over the O-ring.
d. Insert 6 xxx screws into the flange, and using the yyy torque wrench
tighten them to ffff ft pounds....

etc.

Once the task is done, we tell them how to finish the job and restore the
system to service. The instructions are of course liberally supplied with
appropriate health and safety warnings.

Don't insult your workers, but tell them in simple declarative sentences in
a clear sequence of logical steps what they have to do.

Regards,

Bill Hall
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom