RE: Job Hunting Stories

Subject: RE: Job Hunting Stories
From: "Earl Cooley" <shiva -at- io -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 18:00:59 -0500

Jonathan West:
> "What would you do if you found that the substrates were often
> coming out of the oven stuck together?"
>
> He answered it and they moved on to other issues. A few days later
> he was offered the job and accepted it. When he arrived, he found
> that they had implemented his suggestion in the factory, and that
> it had worked!

I've done that while interviewing candidates for L3 "court of last
resort" tech support positions. Our company (among other things)
specialized in resolving multi-vendor finger-pointing. I'd trot out
a problem that none of the current L3's had been able to crack (ones
so nasty that the correct answer might be "defenestrate your PC and
stock up on pencils and paper"), tell the candidate up front that it
was something we hadn't been able to figure out, and get their insight
on the problem. Sometimes they'd give me this great "deer in the
headlights" kind of panic look, but most of them would dig right in
and have a go at it. The important thing wasn't really getting a
correct solution (sometimes there just wasn't one) but to see their
process of analysis under a bit of pressure.

--
e=sc^3 (shiva -at- io -dot- com) Earl Cooley III

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l