Editing and writing tests for jobs

Subject: Editing and writing tests for jobs
From: "Cara O Sullivan" <cara_osullivan -at- modusmedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:42:55 -0600

Hi TechWhirlers--

I have a question out of pure curiosity--

For those who are looking for work and are experienced tech writers, have
you encountered many potential employers who use editing or writing tests to
screen candidates?

And if so, what do you think of that tactic? Personnally, I would use it
only for an entry-level position, but not use it as the only determining
factor; I would think an experienced writer's resume and references would
say more about their abilities and expertise rather than a test.

What do those of you who are hiring managers say?

What do you job seekers say?

Cara O'Sullivan
Documentation Writer
QA Testing & Deployment Group