RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs

Subject: RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 11:51:44 -0400

Well it's about time this topic reared its head again :)

Many experienced writers are insulted by writing tests. I use them whenever
possible, having been burned more than once by supposedly experienced
writers who could barely figure out how to turn the PC on, much less how to
interpret a workflow, and write comprehensibly. I however, never use the
"how to tie your shoelaces" or "how to make a PBJ sandwich" variety. I
typically present an introductory, or fairly simple UI that's already been
documented and ask the candidate to do so, with some background on typical
users, power users, etc. No time limits, no limits on questions that can be
asked of me, no limits on how to structure the document. Gotten some
amazing results that way, and figured out pretty quickly who could fit into
an environment, who has the savvy to ask questions, and who's not afraid to
push the envelope of traditional doc.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it worked extremely well for me.

MTC

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com <mailto:connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com>

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to
do it." - Pablo Picasso