Re: FWD: Open Office experience out there?

Subject: Re: FWD: Open Office experience out there?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:24:14 -0300

KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

Default is XML. But, you can save as .doc if you wish.

Not quite. The default is the native Star/Open Office format, which appears to be a binary format. You're probably thinking of the fact that XML is used as the basis for translation filters.

For example, if you create an OO document and send it to another company
that uses Microsoft Office, will they be able to read it?

Supported formats:

- Open Office Text document (default)
- MS Word 97/2000/XP
- MS Word 95
- MS Word 6.0
- StarWriter 5, 4, and 3
- Text
- Text encoded

My understanding is that StarOffice 6.0,which has just been announced at $70, has a lot more filters, but that these were removed from OpenOffice because they are proprietary and developed by a third party. No doubt, too, Sun wants some extra features to make people buy StarOffice.

"I could be the story of the man who rode high and fell hard, and had his spirit broken and crawled off into a hole like a dog, to die as soon as he could manage it. Or I could be the story of a man who rode high and fell hard, and then got up defiant and walked away in a new direction. Someone who never looked back, someone who never gave the mob any satisfaction. And that's the story I'm going to make them all eat."
- Kim Stanley Robinson, "The Years of Rice and Salt"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l