RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs

Subject: RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 17:01:30 +0100

Okay, I was not planning to get into this thread again, but still... ack...
sucked in... oh no... still, at least no one's forcing me to buy more pens!

CB wrote:
>The problem is that without a clear understanding
>of what the employer is looking for as a result of
>the test (change in content, spelling only, grammar
>only, simplification, etc.) the candidate can only
>guess as to what the employer is looking for.

That's true. There are bad tests, bad interviews, bad interviewers, and (as
you point out) bad job application forms. ANY method of selecting people for
a job can be done badly. (The one-on-one personal interview has been
established to be no better than random choice, I seem to remember reading
in some book on interview technique.)

>From the POV of the interviewee, I think the right attitude to have is,
simultaneously "I'm the best person you could possibly hire" and "Is this
company one I want to work for?" The question about the company should be
covert: the "I'm the best" should be shaded slightly with a becoming "I'm
so good I don't have to brag" modesty. <g>

A test fulfils BOTH elements. Firstly, it should be an excellent opportunity
to show off your talents. Secondly, it should tell you a LOT about what the
company is like and what they expect of you. (Particularly if you get to ask
questions ABOUT the test - and if you don't, that too tells you quite a bit
about the company.)

The more information the company provides about itself as a workplace during
the interview process, the better for the interviewee - and, ultimately, for
the company. Tests are a valuable source of information. Don't knock them!

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing in
a small test. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine
alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and
outwith my control.
Home: hj -dot- carnall -at- virgin -dot- net

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l