More re: Margin size and bindings? 2)-- " Anyone can do it" & Thanks

Subject: More re: Margin size and bindings? 2)-- " Anyone can do it" & Thanks
From: sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 13:55:38

I'd just like to take a moment and thank all who took the time to respond.
I received some really good suggestions. For my ego...I recieved some
solace for my poor bruised ego and from the point of view of the technical
writing craft some good suggestions on how to handle the situation. I even
enjoyed (got a chuckle and smile) from the individual who mentioned that
they recognized from email address that I must dealing with "pigheaded
Albertans. (Yup! I'm an Albertan and proud of it.)

Just to clarify one point...I'd orginally set the margins in the style
guide to Word's default settings. This was primarily due to the fact that
there's an individual(not a tech writer by trade) who has been pressed into
service on this documentation project. This individual had a hand in
developing the "templates" (not truly a template by our definition) for
this project. The templates-from a layout and design point of view-were
fairly flawed and so development of the style guide solved a number of
different issues in one fell swoop-including the worst of the template
design flaws. I was reluctant to propose any other sorts of changes
(including the margin settings) because this individual would have been
extremely resistant. (Read hit the roof).

This person is a permanent employee while I am "just the contractor" and
is *not* open to hearing/learning *any* thing about documentation
development, doc design principles etc. etc. etc. It seemed quite clear to
me that this person (who was involved in this project right from the
beginning) regards it as " their baby."

In the 'original' template there were*no* spaces after headings,2) headings
and titles were in all caps, bold & italic (yes...all three all at the same
time) and this person was proposing to use a larger font for body text than
for the headings. e.g. 12 point font for body text and ten point font for
headings. Okaaaay?! This same person also didn't want to use a 16 point
font for titles "because it would make the document longer."

It was this person (above) and the person I report to who cooked up the new
margin settings.

To the person who wondered whether it was cm versus inches? No, it was
inches and it says so right in the 'revised' style guide. Also I had a copy
of the style guide handy when I recieved the fateful telephone call and had
made a note of the revised settings as my supervisor was telling me.

Had they actually "applied" these settings to a document? No, it didn't
appear so. They certainly had not applied the settings to the Style Guide
itself. I, however,did. Naturally,90% of whatever content was on the page
went sliding off the page and the net result is extremely unattractive.

I left two sample copies of two different documents with the revised
settings applied. In addition I did screen captures of the print set-up
dialog box attached to both showing that I *had* correctly applied the
"revised" settings. I also left a short note/memo for my supervisor to
which these were attached...asking whether this was the effect he had
intended to achieve. I also included an article on basic layout and design.
I'm sure that will win me *no* brownie points!

Sara in Canada

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l