RE: writing tests are for wussies... (IQ Tests, etc.)

Subject: RE: writing tests are for wussies... (IQ Tests, etc.)
From: "Thomas Eagles" <tekwriter -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:08:16 -0400

Goober of Techwr-l wrote:

> I was once administered an IQ test during a job
> interview. I thought it was odd, but seeing as I'd
> driven about 140 miles to the interview, I figured
> what the hell. Scored pretty high, so I guess I can't
> complain. But... doesn't it seem odd to you?
>
> Have any of you ever been administered an IQ test
> during an interview? Any other weird test?
>
> FWIW, I later found out that not all applicants were
> given the IQ test. I don't know why I was asked to
> take it... maybe I don't look all that bright... ;)

Yeah, I was required to take writing, editing, and IQ tests at i2. I was
hired, so I guess they liked my test results. :^)

i2 was gracious enough to actually let me see the test results. Out of
(I think) 30 questions, I got one wrong on the IQ test, and, as I
recall, I would have got it wrong even if there was no time limit (I
can't recall why). I did finish the test before the time limit, though.

I have only been tested on my writing skills three times, and each time
I was disappointed with the test (for not being a *real* test). In all
honesty, I find it insulting to a senior writer to be tested on your
writing skills. Testing editing skills makes much more sense, if one
must be tested at all.

I prefer essay questions to multiple choice or short answer. Wonder why?
<vbg>

TTFN.

Tom.

/ _\ tekwriter -at- sympatico -dot- ca |
\/\_______ http://www.tekwriter.com |
/ _ * / 905.509.1838 (main) |
__ ___ /----\ / 905.626.8466 (mobile) V
|****** / |/ >>Corporate & Technical |