Re: Definitions please: ubiquitous vs pervasiv

Subject: Re: Definitions please: ubiquitous vs pervasiv
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 13:00:51 -0700 (PDT)

Frank Kronberg <Frank -dot- Kronberg -at- Sun -dot- COM> wrote:

> I need some feedback on the differences/similarities
> between the definitions of these two words as they
> would be used by a technical writer when discussing
> distributed/technical computing.

A Google hunt turned up the following, from
http://faculty.bus.olemiss.edu/breithel/final%20backup%20of%20bus620%20summer%202000%20from%20mba%20server/julie_cline/pervasive.htm

"*Pervasive* computing involves devices like hand-helds --small,
easy-to-use devices -- through which we'll be able to get
information on anything and everything. That's the sort of thing
that Web-enabled cell phones promise. *Ubiquitous* computing, though,
eschews our having to use computers at all. Instead, it's computing
in the background, with technology embedded in the things we already
use. That might be a car navigation system that, by accessing
satellite pictures, alerts us to a traffic jam ahead, or an oven
that shuts off when our food is cooked."

The author notes that this definition is taken from a
Computerworld article from 03/20/2000, vol 34 issue 12.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l