Re: writing tests are for wussies...

Subject: Re: writing tests are for wussies...
From: Cynthia Armistead <cynlists -at- technomom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 19:47:54 -0400

At 12:44 PM 5/21/2002 -0300, Bruce Byfield wrote:

Kieffer, Barry wrote:

How do you flunk a Meyers-Briggs test?

Oh, don't tell me. Some pedantic nit-wit that believes that only certain personality types can be successful tech writers, or "that personality type" will never fit in with this fastidious note-taking list-making fussy group, or some other half-witted management decision?
Many people swear by Meyers-Brigg or some variation, but my own experience convinces me that they are no more accurate than a horoscope. I've taken such tests a number of times, and had widely varying results. Either I have a multiple personality disorder (a popular view, I'm sure, in some circles), or else the tests fail to account for circumstance, mood, and personality. I know that I'm irked by the either-or nature of some of these tests - often, I would choose both possibilities, at least part of the time.

At various times I've tested as an introvert or extrovert on the MBTI. On that or the Keirsey (don't remember which) I was at one time testing as XXXX - meaning I was in between the extremes of each axis. The test administrator said she'd never seen that one before. I test as INTJ now, but was more of an INFP for years. The result really does depend on the context I'm considering at the time - at home? At work? With the Girl Scout troop? What?

I've never taken an MBTI for an employer, but an employer did have everyone take a "personality inventory" at one time many years ago (1987 or so). It was supposed to tell if you were a leader or a follower, dominant or submissive, good with language or math, etc. And again, I tested right in between on everything. I told my boss that my answers really depended on the situation I was thinking of for each question, and to just consider me flexible.

Cyn

--
cyn -at- technomom -dot- com
http://www.technomom.com/