Re: definitions please: ubiquitous vs pervasive

Subject: Re: definitions please: ubiquitous vs pervasive
From: "Jason W. Tice" <jait -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:09:12 -0700

Hmmm...

Merriam Webster dictionary at http://www.m-w.com defines them as:
Ubiquitous: existing or being everywhere at the same time : constantly encountered
Pervasive: having become diffused throughout every part of

And yet, to me, I read "ubiquitous" as being "accepted without question due to constant use." The use of windows as a metaphor in on-screen UI applications has become ubiquitous.

I read "pervasive" as a being similar, but without the blind acceptance that "ubiquitous" has. Mouse-controlled applications are pervasive across Windows platforms. In addition, "pervasive" has a slightly negative overtone for me, as the subject described using "pervasive" might have reached the same level of diffusion (as the subject described using "ubiquitous") without necessarily having achieved the same level of acceptance.

Oh. and hi! I'm new to the list.

At 06:04 AM 21/05/2002, you wrote:

I need some feedback on the differences/similarities between
the definitions of these two words as they would be used by
a technical writer when discussing distributed/technical computing

--
jait -at- yahoo -dot- com (Jason W. Tice)
http://www.geocities.com/jait

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l