Unlocking a Frame document

Subject: Unlocking a Frame document
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:01:44 +0200

I accidentally locked my Frame document by trying to insert a hyperlink. I
make liberal use of hyperlinks in my Word docs and was trying to re-create
it in Frame. By the way, is there a way to make cross-references link to the
reference?

FrameMaker has a concept of a locked/unlocked document. When unlocked, the mouse pointer is in edit mode, which means you type in a link rather than click to execute it. To execute a link in an unlocked document (on Win, anyway) you press Ctrl-Alt, then click... The pointer should turn into a hand when it's over a link.

To lock/unlock a document, use the key sequence, Esc, Shift-F, l (that's el), k. When locked, a document has fewer menu commands, but there are still things you can do, such as search. You just can't edit a locked document (as I'm sure you noticed). This should not apply to your situation, but you can lock a document in a way that it cannot be unlocked - ever. This is for final delivery, and is usually done by importing specific MIF commands into a document before finally locking it via the key-stroke.

I believe X-refs are automatically hypertexty. If not automatic, it's been so long since I had to make the setting that I forget all about it. They don't look blue or anything unluess you specify that in the x-ref format. Also, you can generate indexes and lists to be hypertexty.

All this hypertexty stuff should come across to PDF, except pop-up lists - PDF doesn't do pop-up lists. Maker's hypertext is pretty good. I use it for a user interface for my plugins - or look at the Thesaurus or Math palette, which are both hypertext documents that drive Maker actions. As usual, the model/paradigm for Maker is different than that for Word. This is a cause for much difficulty in whichever direction you're switching. Patience - Maker's hypertext is probably worth the effort to learn it.

You might want to look up the FrameUsers list if you have more questions... Find a link to that site on my web page.

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l