Re: training guide vs. user guide

Subject: Re: training guide vs. user guide
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:10:54 -0400

And I know more about writing training than about user guides.

Some questions:

How much time is the "training" going to be?
It's "classroom type" but actually a distance learning application. (telephone conferencing)
"Not too detailed" - what exactly does the person(s) expect the learners will get out of the "training"?
Is the application user-friendly? How can they know "next-to-nothing" about the application but the training is on "new features and enhancements"?
Are the modules like each other, variations on a basic theme? Or do they offer significantly different features?
What form are you to deliver (Word, FrameMaker, PowerPoint)?

These are all questions that come under the rubric of "training needs analysis". Since you don't have much time and I think that the circumstances indicate that "training" is being given short shrift you'd probably be best off putting together the document that they can use after the fact. So your user guide.

Still I think it would be good if you had answers to these questions.

My 2 cents...
Annamarie

--
Annamarie Pluhar

IDD Tech Solutions
Instructional design and development for technology.

(301) 588 - 4001
(301) 646 - 5002 (Mobile)
apluhar -at- iddtechsolutions -dot- com
http://www.iddtechsolutions.com