RE: Not Writing for Translation (was RE: Re(2): Number/Figure)

Subject: RE: Not Writing for Translation (was RE: Re(2): Number/Figure)
From: "Elizabeth OShea" <Elizabeth -dot- OShea -at- emergesmart -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:25:40 +0100

Jim wrote:

It does lead me to ask, though, if Japanese is
my first language, do I have the same ESL issues as if German were
my first language? Swahili? Navaho?

No, definitely not. My EFL days are long behind me, but there are different
learning needs amongst speakers of different languages. For example,
apparently Arabic speakers beginning a European language have difficulty
understanding the importance of spacing between words - apparently words can
join in Arabic script without affecting the meaning. (I use all those
apparentlys because I never taught Arabic speakers and I know nothing about
Arabic. So if I am wrong, yes, it is due to ignorance, but that's what they
told me in TEFL college.) Verb tense may prove a difficult concept to grasp
for speakers of a particular language, etc.

All of these differences just make it a lot more interesting to teach!

elizabeth

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l