Re: How to fend off a tech writer (long)

Subject: Re: How to fend off a tech writer (long)
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:48:34 -0400

This has been a varied, and occasionally interesting thread
(ok, so I've read every word...).

My Personal Observations

Flow is Good

1) Flow IS more productive. I get more done when I am not
constantly trying to recover all the things that I'd
been holding in my head. Also, I can HOLD more things in
my head when the whole thing... flows.

2) Flow is part of my compensation. It's a pleasure, in and
of itself, and is therefore a trigger for much
resentment when it is needlessly broken.

3) Flow does take about 15-to-20 minutes to re-achieve,
when it's been running for a while and gets
interrupted... but it takes (me at least) much longer to
invoke (in fact it usually needs to arrive
"accidentally") when I'm first attacking a project or a
phase of a project that
a) I've been avoiding, or
b) I haven't brought into sufficient focus in my own head
to feel that I've "really begun, at last".

4) When my work is being edited, the pattern of discovered
blunders (discovered by me if I've had a sufficient
cooling-off period.... rare... or discovered by a
reviewer), often matches with the places in the work
where I was interrupted.

5) With all that in mind, I try to avoid spoiling it for
other folks, 'cuz I know what it's worth to me to get a
good groove going... and keep it going. Reciprocity.
is a good thing.

Developers and Respect

1) Sometimes there are actual Product Spec, and even Design
Spec documents -- preliminary though they may be, so I
latch onto them. Those, and the project group meetings
and the engineering group meetings are good to keep me
informed and to let me ask relatively sensible questions
in a group setting. That gives me the air of an actual
project participant.
When the spec docs are circulated by the authors, I make
it a point to review and comment in a timely manner, and
to phrase objections as questions.

2) Meeting etiquette -- I try always to show up on time, and
prepared.
Many of our meetings have notes/minutes taken by the
instigator, so everybody else is off the hook.
However, many other meetings have minutes taken by
participants on a round-robin 'you haven't done it in a
while' basis. It is important that:
a) I don't get stuck with that chore, noticeably more
often than other people, but
b) when it's my turn, I provide exemplary minutes
with a lot of well-organized detail and leaving no
doubt about what was involved in each issue and
who is assigned responsiblity, and what they are
expected to produce, and when it is due, and what
progress and obstacles have been seen so far.
I take particular care to put people's names beside
accomplishments and beside particularly relevant and
thought-provoking questions that they raised.

Quite often, the chore of figuring out what to say in
the minutes has a salutary effect on my understanding
of the project and the issues (technical, fiscal,
political...). Either that, or I go check with the
appropriate party to clarify my understanding before
publishing... ("Chris, I want to be sure I've got this
right...Is the problem this, or is the problem that? OK,
that makes sense. I'll have the minutes in your mailbox
in twenty minutes. Thanks.")

3) Inject a little humor, but with a twist that shows I'm at
least in the ballpark. For example, within the past
year, two developers have left us -- we'll call them
Samir and Pat. Sammy went on to better things, having
made himself almost beloved. He was a genius and a
perfectionist, but had such a nice way about him that
people somehow didn't mind when he horned in on a task,
then made it take almost twice as long ("Hmm. This is
good; this is good... but maybe we go back here and
change all this -- you see? -- and it be better...") but
the result was ten times better. If Samir wrote it, it
didn't break.
Pat, on the other hand, was let go "for cause", and
people are still repairing things that Pat worked on.

So, when puzzled heads are bent over reluctant problems,
or there's disagreement about direction -- even if I
don't really grasp the details -- I whip out my cap.
I don't wear a cap, I just keep one handy so I can hold
it over my heart while I raise my eyes heavenward and
intone:
"In times like this, we must ask ourselves, 'What would
Sammy / Pat do?'"
The trick is in knowing when to invoke Sammy and when
to invoke Pat.

4) Around my desk, I keep:
a) a goody bowl (contents change, but it's usually got
something interesting in it -- unless I'm on a diet,
and then everybody is... :-)

b) several packs of chewing gum, in multiple flavors
(all the smokers seem to come by, just before
meetings... :-)

c) a container of nuts, usually pistachios, which cause
people to hang about, chatting, while they
split shells and make a mess all around my
waste-basket.

d) extra pens and pencils, especially some spare
Sharpies for marking CD-Rs (those are always
in demand)

e) a "spare" PC, dual-boot Windows/Linux, with a CD
burner and the appropriate software iconized on the
desktop in both operating systems, and a spindle of
blank CD-Rs

f) several sets of juggling balls

g) several steel tavern puzzles

h) my red editing pen (for everybody's "would you just
take a quick look at this?" reports and memos and
white papers), along with a reputation for helping
them sound good on paper while telling them that
"Aw shucks! It was mostly just style or personal
preference stuff. There was really nothing wrong...
are you after my job? <insert mock-predatory
grin>"

It is always a good idea to go to the relevant manager,
group leader, or engineering project manager with new
questions, or to touch base before landing on the underling
developers. The leader gets to see that you ask sensible
questions, the leader is kept in the loop on issues that
are coming up, and the leader will often accompany you
to the underling's cube, where everyone has a nice chat
and sometimes issues get resolved or directions get
changed, and most certainly everybody acquires a better
grasp of the whole picture.

So, all of that to say, I don't have problems getting
developers to talk to me. Getting them to shut up,
though...

Ok, I'm kidding.

Resume coffee break.

/kevin