RE: Return or Enter for US users consensus

Subject: RE: Return or Enter for US users consensus
From: David Farbey <David -dot- Farbey -at- lazysoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:06:04 +0100

Do US keyboards all show the word Enter on the large return/enter key?

A quick survey of the keyboards in our office (located 20 miles west of
London UK) reveals that the large return/enter key next to the alphabetic
keys has only a right-angled arrow, and the small return/enter key next to
the numeric keypad is marked "Enter". This is true on a variety of Gateway,
Dell, and IBM PC keyboards, and on a Microsft Natural keyboard.

The keyboard on our one i-Mac has nothing writtten on either return/enter
key, and our one Sun Solaris workstation does actually have "Return" on the
large return/enter key.

However, in the user guides I write I do ask users to "press Enter", and
they all seem to know what I mean :-)

David Farbey
mailto:david -dot- farbey -at- lazysoft -dot- com
Technical Writer
Lazy Software Ltd., UK
http://www.lazysoft.com