Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?

Subject: Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?
From: "Gary Clark" <Gary -at- wtw -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 08:01:17 -0700

This is not intended to seem facetious, but the BIGGEST problem I have with
MS-Word is its mandated use by those for whom I do tech writing and related
documentation work.

Word is (in my view) a damn good tool for most general purpose applications,
such as letters, memos, faxes, specifications, proposals and so on. You can
even create an invoice with it which will (using tables and macros)
auto-compute and total entered dollar amounts. I am very happy with Word in
nearly all of these situations.

But the two places where Word is one of the WORST tools out there are:

* Books and long multi-chapter documents, particularly having lots of
embedded graphics

* Creating HTML documents

In fact, I find Word nearly useless for either of the above applications.

So, while Word is great for MOST users in a company, it is a terrible tool
for use in creating technical publication documents. Therefore, the BIGGEST
problem with Word is the fact that so many companies DEMAND that it be used
for creating technical manuals.

Gary Clark
Las Vegas, Nevada

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l