Freelance Rates in the Bay Area

Subject: Freelance Rates in the Bay Area
From: hvonmark -at- onesecure -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:23:59

Just got offered a small freelance job (my first) to write articles for an
IT Web site. I need to quote the client a rate asap--but I have no idea
what to charge since I've never done this kind of work freelance before.
The archives are full of helpful information on how to evaluate myself and
my rates for contracting, but I failed to locate any actual, recent
freelance rates per article for high tech work in the Bay Area.

Me: Editor 12 years (3 Web Editor), Technical Writer 1 year, high tech
industry only. Before the dot-com bust, I always worked full time as a
permanent employee. Now, scraping by on a $30/hr tech writing contract for
network security company.

The Gig: 4 articles of 200-250 words each for an IT Web site. Client
provides topics and research material. Deadline is June 4th. Without seeing
the topics, I guess-timate the job to take about 4 hours or less.

The Question: What is a reasonable rate to charge per article? Note: I've
considered doing it for free to get in good with the employer in this
incredibly "stick-a-fork-in-it-dead" Silicon Valley job market.

Just a quick email with the $/article would be great. Thanks in advance.

-- Heidi

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l