RE: Problem with MS Word Indexes

Subject: RE: Problem with MS Word Indexes
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:27:08 +0100

> Can anyone help me with this problem?
>
> I'm setting up an index with MS Word, using one of the canned styles. The
> problem is, this adds two section breaks -- at the beginning and
> the end of
> the index. This screws up the page numbering that I put in the
> footer, which
> I set up as "continue from previous section" throughout the document.
>
> Any suggestions?

This is inevitable if you define the index format as being in two columns.
It is the section breaks which allow you to have the index in two columns.

The only workaround I can think of is to select the index, press
Ctrl-Shift-F9 to unlink it (i.e. convert it to text), create a one-row
two-column table, and move half the index into the first cell, half the
index into the second cell, and then delete the original, section breaks
included.

However, you'll need to repeat the rigmarole each time you want to update
the index.

Regards
Jonathan West

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l