RE: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone

Subject: RE: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone
From: "Margaret Secara" <margaret -dot- secara -at- alphather -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:14:37 -0700

I don't know if it's right or left brained, visual or tactile learner, but I used both the mouse and the keyboard for the same operations, depending on what I feel like at the moment. Ok, so I get bored easily. I like having options. when I create a Word macro, though, I tend to put it on a toolbar button because I can't remember what key combination I assigned to it!

A while ago, when I was working in a non-writing capacity in a small office, I taught all my co-workers about ctrl-x, ctrl-c, and so on. They LOVED it and asked what other shortcuts there were. These were all "kids" under25 who encountered computers well after the invention of the PC. Of course, they were all also Renaissance Faire performers, so maybe the concept of an "old fashioned" way to do something just appealed to them ;-)

Maggie Secara

>>> "Lorraine Butchart" <Lorraine -dot- Butchart -at- corel -dot- com> Thursday, May 30, 2002 >>>

I have a theory of my own to add to this debate: I suspect that those
who prefer the mouse over keyboard shortcuts tend to be primarily visual
learners, while those who prefer keyboard shortcuts tend to be either
auditory or kinesthetic learners. I know lots of shortcuts, and I do use
some of them for certain frequently performed tasks (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X,
Ctrl-V, and Ctrl-Z for example). However, when I am performing tasks I
do not do once every five minutes, I like to _see_ what I'm doing, which
to me means watching the mouse cursor, opening menus, and selecting
commands. I should add that I was trained as a touch typist lo! these
many years, and so I always watch the monitor when I work rather than
the keyboard.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l