RE: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?

Subject: RE: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?
From: "Miller, Alan" <Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 16:06:35 -0400

I don't think the issue here is semantics or [implied] Microsoft bashing. BG and his colleagues in Redmond are Big Boys and don't need any of our help defending themselves against criticism (or whining, if you will). Besides, they are such a big and easy target that there is no sport in it any more.

Now, we all have to admit that Word, like most anything else designed and built by people, is flawed. We live with it. We find ways to do what we have to do with it and move on. In a perfect Universe we'd have seatbelts _and_ decrumple levers (that worked flawlessly) that we never had to use. But we don't. Will MS redesign word to fix the things we find inconvenient or broken? Probably not. It's too expensive for both MS and the consumer. But, hey, we'll get by.

Martin, your passion is admirable. Just remember that for most of us, Word is just another tool of the craft. We neither like nor dislike it. Don't take it so personally. Have fun.

Al (Remembering the Good Ole Days of chisel and stone) Miller
"Chief Documentation Curmudgeon"
Prometric, Inc., a Thomson Corporation business
Baltimore, Maryland

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
-- Douglas Adams