RE: Storing RTF documents in a code management system

Subject: RE: Storing RTF documents in a code management system
From: "Rebecca Downey" <rdowney -at- matrox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 17:33:02 -0400

Hi.

> Has anyone used CVS or RCS as a repository for their documents?
Yes. We use it for all documentation and source code.

> If so, how has this worked for you?
Quite well actually.

> 1) Being able to easily check documents in and out
I either check in documents as
- DOC: These are checked in as binary.
- HTM: These are checked in as text.
- MIF: These are checked in as text.

> 2) Are you able to merge changes?
I use either MS Word or Adobe FrameMaker to compare changes, but I never
merge changes in a document.

Why?
I have to be able to track changes within a document and associate them back
to the editor who requested the change as well as the build in which it went
in. Allowing merges *might* cause a problem as to what information is
released.

So instead you check out the previous (or desired) version of the document
and use the source-program (FrameMaker or Word) to compare the two.

> 3) Controlling access of documents (which would really be a
> process we might be able to use)
We control access three ways:
- Through named check-ins (essentially any time someone checks in a document
they must log in. Once logged in, any file they check in has their name
attached to the revision) you can always track a change back to its maker.
- Through directory control (any OS can do this - controlling who has access
to which directory and what kind of access [Read, Read/Write, Modify,
Create...]

> 4) General feedback regarding the use of RTF documents in this
> manner?
Because we use DOC instead of RTF format, we are looking at moving all forms
of documentation over to XML. This would make things a lot easier in regards
to merging changes and save a lot of space on our servers.

Please do post a summary when you get enough posts.
This is a topic I'd really like to hear more about.
Thanks
Rebecca Downey Senior Technical Writer
ITG:NBM Matrox Electronic System
1055 St Regis, Dorval, Quebec, H9P 2T4