FW: Simplified English

Subject: FW: Simplified English
From: "Karin Heroux" <karinh -at- cqs -dot- co -dot- za>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:00:58 +0200

I did a very good training course by Chris Curwen in South Africa that touched on the whole issue of the use of English in documentation. There is a test called the Fog Level index that determines the number of years of studying English that you require to understand the contents of documentation. The result is quite scary, since in South Africa we have mostly second, third and fourth language speakers. This means that you cannot write a level of English of higher than 6 - 6 years of English usage - to make what you write understandable. This applies to all software that is targeted on world-wide use, or use in countries that are not known to be first-language English speakers.

The test looks at the number of words per sentence, the number of words that contain more than 2 syllables and so forth. I will try to get info on this - dont have it nearby at the moment. Most computer manuals require 36 years, which explains why users hate them with a passion.

Using plain and simple English is a must in documentation, since the language should NEVER distract the user from the actual content of the reading material. Flowery language is good for literature, but not technical writing. The content is often enough difficult already. Language should not hinder your reader further.

Karin Heroux
Technical Writer
CQS Technology Holdings (Pty) Ltd
PO BOX 598, Parklands, 2121, South Africa
Tel: + 27 11 507-0042
Fax: + 27 11 507-0001
Cell: 0824272025
Email:karinh -at- cqs -dot- co -dot- za