RE: Motivation - Suggestions?

Subject: RE: Motivation - Suggestions?
From: "Wilcox, Rose (ZB5646)" <Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:55:12 -0700

Tamara,
Congratulations on getting extended...

<<
finding it hard to stay motivated now. The routine is getting to me. I don't

want to quit, I just want to feel like I did when I started the project.>.

This might not happen. But you can work through boredom. You just might
not get the zing that happens at the beginning of the project....

help myself, I changed my work schedule and travel arrangements. I took a
short
holiday. I took three technical writing courses. I also decided to
self-publish
my book. This adventure has added excitement to my life.

What do you do when you feel a little bored with your work and routine?

Similar to you, I take on short and long term side projects. Currently, I
am learning Spanish. I'm looking into writing articles again. My job is
more exciting than it was though, so the danger is that things will perk up
at work (new side projects might be added in there too) and you still have
commitments for side work or projects... so I have to watch my balance with
that stuff.

I don't know what tasks you are specifically doing, but when VERY
unmotivated, I find it useful to break my job into much smaller, granular
tasks. Then I start doing small tasks and crossing them off my list.
Pretty soon I get into "the zone"... (heh heh sorry about that)... and start
"hyperfocusing" on the task at hand, getting that "tech writing buzz" that
comes when I am producing a quality document. If I get distracted again, I
reorganize my list and keep going. I also find that occasionally tidying my
workspace helps. However, I am a very non-linear thinker; so that ploy
won't work for those who already are organized and well-filed.

Rosie Wilcox

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l