RE: MA in English or engineering classes?

Subject: RE: MA in English or engineering classes?
From: Jennifer Maitland <jlm -at- kwi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:10:53 +0100

Erika says:

"With your exisitng English degree and the Associate's in engineering you
will have the winning duo: technical + writing. Go for it. Maybe you will
have to work harder on that math, but what a sense of achievement is waiting
for you at the end...."

And I have to agree. I did a double major of Comp Sci and Writing in
university and it is always one of the first things that recruiters and
interviewers ask about. It wasn't an easy degree because I'd be running from
the virtual circut lab to a theory of literary creation class, but hey, I
learned a hell of a lot and never got bored. I think you have a bit of an
advantage here in that you'd be able to focus on one thing rather than being
pulled between the two.

I didn't actually anticipate becoming a technical writer right up until the
end of my studies when the recruiters starting contacting me because of my
skill set. I've been doing this awhile now and I have to say that while not
a perfect fit to my skills (my creative side gets antsy and must be soothed
by the writing of a few strange poems and short stories a week) it is not a
bad career at all. I've also been noticing that a lot of jobs in my area are
starting to ask for MSc's or an engineering background. You'd be top of the
heap with your engineering degree!

Best of luck,

Jennifer Maitland

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l